Lately, I've grown very nostalgic...with SPU beginning again, it is so foreign to be living a life that is a million miles away from where it was last year. I miss my school, my home, my staff, my comfort....my friends more than anything. But also I miss my LIFE where it was last year. Though I know that back then, life was layered and complex as always, looking back on last fall....I cannot help but feel as though everything was younger--simpler. *Sigh*
One glorious benefit of being in the present life is the lack of homework. I have taken advantage of this freedom by filling my moments with a past time that I have not enjoyed for about 8 years or so.
Do you remember when you first learned to read? Dozens and dozens of new worlds suddenly opened, as with simply the turn of a page you were transported into the lives and adventures of fictional characters who became best friends. I used to get caught up in the lives of the brave and noble Redwall mice, follow Belgarath and Polgara on their quest to retrieve the Orb, ride on Aslan's back, or enjoy the View from Saturday... Since high school began I have not found time to follow characters on adventures...with the great exception of my dear love, Mr. Potter, who captured my heart so fiercely that I sometimes caught myself praying for him at night. Hogwarts aside, I have been firmly rooted in THIS world for quite some time now.
And then this summer came. Life chaos and heartache combined perfectly with a large amount of free-time to allow my shriveled heart to be rejuvenated by a return to page-turning. I have read more books in the past 4 months than I have in the past 8 years (textbooks SO do not count).
Mary Ingles, Bridget Jones, Matso-san and Suchi, Wanderer and Ian, Melanie and Jared, Jamie....Bella and Edward. I have met friends this summer within the words of others' imaginations that I will forever be indebted to. My written friends have brought me peace and soothed my pain in ways that I feel silly to describe. But I'm happy with my friends, and I'm looking for more. Paul has prescribed me his favorite fantasy series to read...he's getting fed up with my vampires and aliens and would rather me know his druids and dwarfs--so I'm reading a fantasy series right now, but am building a "to read" list that needs more additions... So if you feel so inclined, suggest away.
And to those of you who have enjoyed afternoon water goblets and cloth napkins with me: Might we start a book club? To be sappy and metaphorical...as the chapters of OUR lives continue forward, I feel it would be a great comfort to turn pages together.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
YESYESYES let do it, I'd love a book club!
YAY!!!
Duuuuuh I never say no to a book club!!!!
obviously...obsessed!
Here are some of the ones that I passed my summer with...
- Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- They Said There'd Be Cake by, Sloane Crosley
and if you haven't already, please read His Dark Materials trilogy! The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman.
Post a Comment