Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Puddle Jumping with a Purpose

I love rainboots.
This seems to be a statement of the obvious, given the title of my blog...however - today is a such a day that requires such a declaration.

I woke up this morning from a strange dream where I was swinging around a rusty bar on a chainlink fence in the snow, trying to land in a car...my ride was no longer in comission because my friends (people I've never seen before outside of dream-land) were naked and smoking drugs in the car I was supposed to ride in.
Upon waking from this strange naked-snowy-drug-land, I realized that I was an hour late. AN HOUR LATE. How I happen to turn my alarm off in my sleep, I will never know...maybe I thought I was slapping one of my nakey-drugged friends and hit the clock instead....regardless! I barely made it out the door in one piece, and managed to be late to work.
Once in the office, I tried to make tea for myself, only to have the hot-water dispenser display a message warning me that the ozone generator was out of service....Well now! --- I did not realize that my hot-water dispenser was somehow linked to the generator that keeps our atmosphere in equilibrium, but I reflected that this "outage" was kind of a bummer deal.
Finally, tea in hand, I made it to my morning post at the front desk and tried to hype myself into a good mood. THEN - the queen mother secretary came into the office and the whole world fell apart. HEAVEN FORBID - the ice machine was broken!! Another new realization: somehow, the broken status of an ice machine is related to my incompetency...and the shrapnel from the queen's rant worked me over.
All before 8:15.

Mercy.

With God's good grace, I survived the morning and made it home at lunch to brush my hair (knarled and frizzy from the rain and the rushed morning-regime), and trade my cute suede boots out for some "outdoor" shoes...and thus, my striped rainboots entered my day.

I am not someone who is easily brought down. In fact, I can often be counted upon to bring sunshine to any situation - I can't help it, I'm naturally a pretty positive person! However, on days like today, when the dark clouds mirror my situation and my attitude, my rainboots are all I need to feel on-top of the world. Something about walking through puddles and staying dry fills me with such smug satisfaction that I could burst. It's probably that I feel like I'm cheating the system...that I SHOULD be getting wet, but HAHA - jokes on you all! I AM DRY!! I happily clomped my striped self through the rest of the day....no more mishaps. Thanks rainboots!

Driving home tonight, Andie drove herself through a HUGE puddle and water shot up all around her tires and her tum. Oh my goodness! Rainboot-Heidi thought to herself. The storm drains are clogged with leaves! We're going to be flooded out! (Rainboot-Heidi is a little over-exeburent, but who could blame her, with those water-defying superpowers!) With all the gusto that she could muster, Rainboot-Heidi spent the next half-hour in the street with two sticks, a trash bag, a cinched-up-hoodie, and the fantastical footwear, cleaning the leaves out of all the drains. And splashing through the gutters from one drain to the next. The rain is still coming down outside, and is now streaming nicely down the street into the drains--obstruction free.

And I am snug and dry. :-)

To all my puddle-jumping, rainboot-wearing girls: I thought of you with every splash and miss you. Heartily.

3 comments:

Sause said...

I

Love

You!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your fiance's comment and I love the joy your post exudes. I can see you puddle jumping with joy and wish you were here to do it with me...it would surely lift my spirits. Love you too much dear friend!

Qu'est-ce que c'est? said...

You are a wonderful person and I miss you! Oh and I know your feeling. Living in Michigan, I happen to adore my winter boots. Just a few hours ago, I finished working and walked to my car. My car was covered in snow, the first real snowfall of the year. As I approached my car, I thought about how warm and dry my feet were in my awesome boots :)