Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Travelling Trials, Fast Paced Visits, and Future FUN!

Sitting in an internet cafe in Rennes, (northern France) trying to master these silly French keyboards which are just different enough to make typing a frustrating task. AARRGH!

Oh my goodness, Greta and I are happy to be out of Italy! NOW, we LOVED the beauty of the 5terre, and we certainly do enjoy our resulting tans (multiple times a day we look in the mirror and make exclamations of how good we look). SIDENOTE: don't look for the tans when we get home, it is now raining and we are sure they will fade before we return home. However, the Italian locals we met were not super nice, La Spezia frustrated us, and we were just about all out of sweat by the time we left. No water left in our bodies to expel. Disgusting.

SO - we left Italy in a 48 hour traveling adventure that took us from the western Italian coast, up to Milan, through Paris, and into Northern France. We had to kill time (5 LONG hours) in La Spezia between trains, and we spent that time wandering around the city for MILES, complaining about bug bites and blisters, sweatingsweatingsweating (because apparently, that is what we do in Italy), trying to find internet, food, ICE CREAM FOR THE LOVE OF THE FATHER, and shade. We ended up sitting in the grass by the sign Greta body-slammed last week, reading books and writing songs with explicit lyrics expressing our opinions of La Spezia.

This is how we feel about La Spezia:



This is how we feel about ice cream:



THEN we hopped on a train. Arrived in Milan and WAITED while our train was delayed...I ate. I love eating. Finally (11:30 PM) our train arrived and we happily climed aboard, ready to sleep and go BACK TO FRANCE, the land of toe-nail free ice cream, and the prettiest little pastries you will ever inhale. Got on the train, sat down, and settled in. Moments later, two ruddy Sweedish youths clamored into our train car, claimed the seats next to us, and informed us that they would like to set up their beds. Confused to the hilt, we shuffled out of the way as they dismantled the seatbacks and turned our lovely little car into a set of triple-bunk beds. The only way we could be out of the way was to curl up on the bottom bunks, bumping into the arm rests now in front of our faces...so we lay there while they fussed around above us, exchanging bemused and hysterical faces as the reality set in that we would make the overnight journey to Paris horizontal, beneath two Sweedish teens. We were so confused and surprised, didn't really know what was going on so we just laughed and went with it...after our morning in La Spezia and the wait at the Milan station, it was just too much. Still though, we figured it out, and managed to sleep the night away.



Arrived in Paris, had ANOTHER lay over. We were in Paris (PARIS!!!!!) long enough for a) me to decide that I am in love with the city - Paris, je'taime!, b) be treated like CRAP by lots of snooty French people, c) be dive-bombed by pidgeons, d) rediscover why France is quickly becomming my favorite place on earth: those damn pastries. Let me just tell you - it is SO good to be back amongst the baked goods that make me all-too-happy to eat my way through life and numerous pant sizes. MMMMmmmmmm......LOVE IT.

We're in Rennes for a whirlwind tour of Mont Saint Michel (which is nothing but a lot of tourstists crowding the most incredible abbey I have ever seen), and tomorrow head off to IRELAND to hook up with the sweet Irish lasses we met while in Nice. PLEASE pray for smooth travels...God has taken care of us thus far and the only frustrating travel adventures we have had, we blame on La Spezia. Still though, tomorrow is looking to be the trickiest day yet, with the most unknowns, and we are both a little anxious.

Happily back in France and enjoying a morning cafè:



At the SPECTACULAR Mont Saint Michel!!!



P.S. I updated the last blog posted with pictures...CHECK IT OUT. :-)

That's a lie - I tried to update it...but was working on Greta's pictures and ran out of time for mine. Sorry - will try to fix that soon.

5 comments:

maggirn said...

This just made my day, I am laughing out loud and the dogs must think I'm crazy. You are wonderful! Love MAMA

Sarah McMurray said...

Heidi, I am loving your blog! And living vicariously through you. What a great adventure you are having! I continue to pray for safe travels, and some good processing time. Miss you my dear friend!

Mae said...

Oh I am so glad you are having such a wonderful time. I'm sad for you that 5terre (very clever by the way, I love it) was not a happy experience for you. That was the part of the trip that I was wanting to do the most! But, I am so very, very glad you are enjoying France. I LOVE YOU SOOOOOO much! I can't wait to catch up with you and tell you everything that has been going on! LOVE YOU HEIDI!! <3

Army Mom Times Two said...

It sounds like you're having a blast over there; Europe will never be the same after you gals leave! Sorry you didn't like the Cinque Terra and Italy...maybe on another trip someday. Keep up the fun, girlies! (Hi Mags)

Allie said...

a) I looooove overnight trains! Went from Vienna to Berlin in those crazy bunks. Glad you got to experience that.
b)PARIS! You loved it! I'm so happy! je t'aime!!!!
c) I miss you. I bought an almond croissant from the Ballard Sunday Market today and it made me think of you.