Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Community Dinner

Tonight I went to serve food at a local church with my friend Lindsey. I've been attending the Wednesday Night Community Dinner off and on since I was a freshmen, and tonight I was struck by how much I love those Wednesday nights when I make it up the hill. There are always new faces...but there the majority are familiar. The guests are far more regular than I am, and I can always count on seeing Jesus in them. He's so REAL, you know? Gritty, grimy, real life on asphalt, in the dirt, and pungent in the warmer weather. He smiles, sometimes just gets His food and eats, but most often He says thank you with a look that reduces my heart to a pile of messy little pieces. Sometimes He comes back for seconds...thirds...shoot fourths and fifths if it's that kind of evening! Then He packs the leftovers up in a bag and takes them with Him for another day....

My life has changed a lot over the past 4 years...Every year I learn new lessons (repeat the old ones too), meet new friends, and live in a different part of campus. Every year has had a different feel to it and has rendered me a different being at its conclusion. But Community Dinner is always the same. The faces are always the same. The hearts the same. My God--the same.

Dang, He's beautiful...isn't He?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi...love community dinner. I just saw that there was one last week while I was walking around Queen Anne. It's beautiful to remember that we can find God in people, and to be reminded of that by you just makes my evening.

Thank, love :)