Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I am a systems thinker...

I made a brilliant comment in class today. There is no way that I’ll be able to recreate, regurgitate, or reiterate what exactly I said, but please know that it was truly spectacular. It was such a nice change of pace to not feel like an idiot…therefore I am going to enlighten you with my brilliance.

We were talking about the connection and relationship between neurophysiological processes, personality, and spirituality. Example: there is physiological evidence for what we have traditionally labeled as “spiritual” experiences. Does this negate spiritual experiences? Some people with extreme psychosis report hearing God during their delusions or visions. These visions are understood to be symptoms of a severe psychological disease, but if treating such a disease will remove an individual’s spiritual experiences…can we ethically justify treatment? Etc etc etc….My goodness these discussions get so convoluted and just turn a mind around in circles! Especially a mind that ardently believes in God, but is aware of the psychological realities and properties of “spiritual” experiences….a mind like mine is quickly and easily twisted up.

(This will not be brilliant, but believe me when I say that it WAS!)
Here’s the thing, friends. It makes me very nervous to try to view these different elements in isolation. Truly—physical, mental, and spiritual experiences are intricately and intimately interwoven. Separating them from one another can be dangerous… Thinking that God is separate from the physical and vice versa leaves people who have depression thinking they are unfaithful believers because they take medication (at least this has been the case with some of my friends). Not only is it dangerous, but such separation is illogical. The world that we live in is made up of complex systems. Example: think of photosynthesis. A plant needs the earth, needs the sun, and needs the rain. We live in dependence on one another. Even God does not exist in isolation, but in relationship with Himself! Therefore, logic does not allow me to accept the argument that God is farce simply because we understand better now than ever before the neuro-science behind how He works within us.

I don’t know. It made more sense in class. Anyway – I was excited.
Although, I realize that I have just written two fairly intense blogs in a row. I’ll work on that…get a little light in here at some point, yes?

No comments: